It's easy to join us for a workday:
1) Sign up at the Forest Preserves of Cook County (FPCC) Volunteer website. The first step is to register as a volunteer. Then use their search tools to locate a work day convenient to you and click on the "Sign Up" button. FPCC will send you a confirmation email and inform us that you've signed up.
If you're signing up a large group you can enter the number of people you expect. If you need help with transportation for your group, FPCC often can help.
Why should I register as a volunteer?
2) You can drop in unannounced! Using the schedule and map of work sites, simply show up at the appointed time and place. We will be thrilled to see you.
Note: If you plan on bringing a large group, it's better that you NOT do it this way. We want to have enough tools (and cookies!) for the people who come on any given day.
3) Contact us directly, using our contact page.
What to bring when you come:
- Wear long sleeves, long slacks or jeans, and sturdy, closed-toe shoes or boots.
- Natural fiber clothing (wool or cotton) works best, especially when burning brush piles. Synthetics are readily damaged by embers, and are more likely to rip when snagged by thorns.
- Multiple layers on cool days allow you to shed a layer as the day warms. We provide gloves and the necessary tools (typically loppers and hand saws), as well as snacks.
- A bottle of drinking water for hydration.
- Sunscreen and bug repellent in season.